Tuesday, June 10, 2014

FRY NOW, PAY LATER (THE ULTIMATE DAMAGE FOR BAKING IN THE SUN)

Hi Everyone!  Welcome to my skin cancer blog!

This is my first "blog" on my quest to hopefully help someone not bake in the sun, tan in the tanning booths, or otherwise damage their skin irreversibly like I did.  

My good news:  I have only had 35+ skin cancers, mostly basal cell skin cancers, and several squamous cell carcinomas.  I have had remarkably phenomenal, skilled professionals who have put me back together after some pretty major (and minor) excisions of these skin cancers.

I will post pictures, explain my journey, and keep you updated on my own personal journey.  I awaiting surgery for another basal cell skin cancer to be removed from the back of my neck, scheduled for July 23, 2014.

Truly, this blog is not about "me", even though it is about me.  It is about YOU...how can I help encourage you to be sun smart?  How can my personal journey, the trauma and the drama, help you be wiser and more educated?

My background is in the medical field, so I have "insider" knowledge, more than the "average bear" of these issues.  I am not an expert nor do I profess to know all the answers.  I am an expert in my own personal journey through all of this....all of which will be detailed in the book I am writing about how I got to the point I am now, where I started my "shaking and baking" in the sun with olive oil and/or baby oil with iodine...zero skin protection...way back when in the Midwest.

I welcome your questions, input, feedback, etc.  

In the weeks to come, I will post links, etc., that may help you get the answers you need.  

Most importantly, please protect your skin....sun damage is what ages our skin...not aging.  Wait until you see the difference between what the skin on my arms look like versus what the skin on my stomach looks like!  There is a 20 year difference in appearance...remember this is all PG!  

Pictures speak a thousand words!!!

Thanks for visiting!  Debbie :)


1 comment:

  1. Hi everyone!! Time flies!!

    2018 was the year that impacted my psyche more than I ever imagined. After 60 some surgeries for basal cells and squamous cell carcinomas, I was diagnosed with a melanoma of my temple region which had spread to my eye and into the conjunctiva. I can’t begin to tell you what a reality check this was for me. I’ll go into further detail and post pics in a subsequent post.

    ReplyDelete